Summer is here and hopefully so is the sun! What that means is spending a lot of time outdoors, in the woods, at the beach, among lots of other popular seasonal places. Are you equipped to deal with a situation quickly if something goes wrong? Do you know how to treating a bug bite or sunburn? Have no fear and look no further; Natural Knowledge has put together the must read guide for natural healing of all of the most common summer threats.
Bug bites, bee stings, poison ivy, sunburns, jelly fish stings, swimmer’s ear, blisters, heat rash and motion sickness can all be treated naturally with household products or a plant from your garden. We’ve put together some easy to remember tips and essentials to have at the ready in a special summer first aid kit.
Our suggestion is to actually set aside these items in a known place so that when one of these not so uncommon occurrences happens, you don’t panic. Looking for a craft project? Have some fun with it! Buy a plastic box or container and decorate it “summer first aid kit” appropriate. Also be sure to print out this blog to keep in the box, so you can remember which remedy is for what situation.
For most, there isn’t a summer that goes by without at least one bug bite. For even more, these bug bites are painful and itchy. When you get a bug bite, all you want is instant relief. Here are nine suggestions that may improve all symptoms of bug bite pain.
- Apply a lemon slice to the bite
- Crush aspirin, make a paste with water
- Apply apple cider vinegar to the bite
- Apply peppermint toothpaste to the bite
- Slice open a banana, rub peel on bite
- Make a baking soda-water paste to apply to bite, the alkaline baking soda will help counteract the acidic swelling
Another inevitable summer setback are sunburns. First, in order to prevent sunburns, always remember to apply an appropriate SPF level and amount of sun block. However, we know that sometimes they happen anyway and every person should be prepared to deal with this uncomfortable pain. Here are a few suggestions that may ease your discomfort:
- Tea is a super way to deal with a sunburn in a few different ways. Brew the tea as normal, then let cool in the refrigerator. From here you can choose to soak towels in the tea then apply to burn, get a spray bottle and spritz the burn, or save the tea bags and apply directly to the area.
- Oatmeal can be used for a variety of homemade healing remedies, one of which is easing sunburn pain. Who would’ve guessed that oat extract actually contains anti-inflammatory properties that can be taken advantage of. One method of using the oatmeal would be to make a batch, let cool and apply directly to skin. Another suggestion is to make a cold bath, and sprinkle in the uncooked oatmeal oats.
- Milk is also said to decrease the pain of a sunburn. You could also try adding milk to the oatmeal bath. In which case this is not possible, apply milk directly to skin. Similar in some ways, plain yogurt can also be used to reduce swelling and inflammation.
Though an encounter with poison ivy is not as common, it can be extremely painful if you develop this rash. Fun fact: The plant leaves themselves are not poisonous but rather it is the urushiol oil within the plant that gives reaction. Next time you have an unfortunate run in with one of these plants, here are some tips to remember.
- White Household Vinegarcan be added to bath water or applied directly to skin. You can also mix with salt before applying.
- Buttermilk can also be added to bath water or mixed with a bit of sea salt and applied to rash
- Apple Cider Vinegar & Oatmeal Bath: Add 1 cup of each to a bath and soak.
- Oatmeal as said before has the ability to heal a variety of aliments. Mix water and oatmeal to make a paste then apply to rash.
Another common misconception is that swimmer’s ear only comes from you guessed it, swimming. The fact of the matter is that swimmer’s ear actually means a bacteria or fungus in growing in the ear canal that can be caused from several different factors, even including improper Qtip use. Many people find it better to make their own homemade version of the same eardrops you would get from a doctor. Instead of a prescription, try these recipes for immediate assistance.
- Sesame Oil & Garlic Clove: In a pan, mix 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and half a garlic clove. Heat the ingredients till it turns warm and take the pan off the stove. When cooled, poor 4-5 drops in affected ear/ears.
- White Vinegar & Warm Water: In a bowl mix 1 part white vinegar and 1 part warm water. Pour 3-4 drops in each ear.
The Green Industry is a booming industry not only in the United States but worldwide. With concerns of global warming soaring to an all time high; citizens and businesses alike are beginning to make changes in every day life to help curb the effects of global warming and you can too. With just a few simple adjustments in our daily routine we can come together as one and reduce the damage that has been done and is being committed to our beautiful planet. We only have one Earth and we need to start taking care of it and reversing the harmful effects of modernization.
Five Major Causes of Global Warming
Five of the biggest reasons to why there is an increase of Carbon Dioxide (Co2) in the atmosphere causing the greenhouse effect and global warming:
1) Co2 emissions from factories and power plants burning fossil fuels
2) Carbon emissions from burning gasoline (cars, trains, planes, trucks etc)
3) Methane emissions from animals, agriculture (rice paddies for example), and from Arctic sea beds
4) Deforestation, especially in the tropical forests for wood, and to make space for farmland
5) Increased use of chemical fertilizers on crops. These fertilizers are rich in nitrogen and when this nitrogen is released into the atmosphere it heats up the atmosphere even more. Chemical fertilizers also seep into water tables and the ocean. This seeping effect contaminates them both and creating “dead zones” in the ocean; this is when there is no plant or animal life in the ocean due to pollution.
Five Major Effects of Global Warming
Five of the biggest concerns and impacts of Global Warming that will face our world if we continue down this path are very serious.
1) A rise in sea levels worldwide may wipe out many coastal towns.
2) More intense killer storms like hurricane Katrina. Hurricanes are becoming more severe and common due to the increase in water temperatures world wide.
3) In the future we could see a massive crop failure worldwide due to the lack of water; making it impossible to feed the ever growing population of the world.
4) The wide-spread extinction of species which will harm, and possibly destroy our fragile eco-system.
5) Finally we would see a disappearance of coral reefs from our oceans worldwide.
Global warming is caused both naturally and by humans, but humans are the main factor in why global warming has become such a major issue in our world today.